Hello, everyone! This announcement has been a long time coming. So long in fact, that I decided to bundle it up in this package of a beautiful new website and send it all out into the world at the same time.
Red Tree Literary has officially reopened to submissions.
This is both a fun development but also a risky proposition for me. A key value of mine as an agent is to keep my list small enough and curated enough so that I'm able to give every project the attention it deserves. So with that in mind, I'm still going to be extra, super picky about the projects I sign. Which means the burden is on you, dear reader, to consider whether your project aligns well with the Red Tree list before submitting. I'm going to help you out a bit, and give you some tips on what I'd like to see right now:
- Strong hooks, please. A twist on reality is always welcome, as is inventive sci-fi or fantasy. But above all else, I am a plot-driven person. Take me along for an amazing ride.
- Vivid, three-dimensional characters and voices. I want to read people and feel like I know them. I always like characters with unique points of view and especially those in interesting settings that add to their world view.
- Intrigue and atmospheric settings, whether gothic or mystical or luxurious. Give me ambiance and rich scenery.
- Something ambitious in subject that still begs to be devoured by a teen audience.
- Middle grade! Middle grade that does what YA has been doing lately. Different viewpoints, new adventures, new mysteries, new friendships, new challenges. But impeccable writing.
If you think you're in the ballpark, please see the submissions page for a full list of directions and guidelines and follow them closely. Can't wait to see what you have for me!